Muslims all over the world are celebrating (بکرا عید )in the mid of next month. Every family has its own Eid traditions in Pakistan. Those people who live away from Pakistan try to continue those traditions to ensure our kids stay connected to our culture. Eid ul Adha is centered around food and family. On this Eid celebration bundle of dishes are prepared and serves among the family gathering. At this time here is a recipe of Mutton Plao. This Plao is beautifully flavored and deliciously fragrant. The stock is the key ingredient in this Plao, which can be prepared a night before. This can significantly reduce cooking time on a very busy day.
Mutton – 1 kilogram
- Onions – 6 medium (sliced)
- Bay leaves – 2 to 3
- Ginger – 1 (2 inches – sliced in 4 )
- Whole garlic – 6 large cloves
- Cinnamon – 1 (2 inches)
- Peppercorns – 1 tbsp
- Cloves – 12 to 14
- Black Cardamom – 5
- Cumin – 1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 2 tsp (adjust to taste later while cooking rice)
- Oil – 5 tbsp
- Water – 6 to 7 cups
- Basmati Rice – ½ kilogram/2 cups (will feed three people)
- Onion – 1 medium (diced)
- Green chilli – 2 (optional)
- Cinnamon – 1 (1 inch)
- Cumin – 1tsp
- Whole peppercorn – 12
- Black Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 6 to 8
- Mutton Stock (including the cooked meat) – 2 ½ to three cups for two cups of soaked rice
- Salt – To taste (Be careful as the stock already has salt)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
Method for stock:
- Use a stockpot to make the stock. Heat oil in the pan and fry diced onions till brown.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry for about a minute until they get a bit of color.
- Add mutton and cook on high heat till it changes color on all sides.
- Add all the spices and cook for a minute or two.
- Add six to seven cups of water and salt. Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat and cover the pan. The stock should simmer on low heat for 55-70 minutes or till the meat is cooked perfectly.
- Once done, let the stock cool. Strain it and separate the meat. Use the stock as per your requirement.
Method for Plao:
- Wash and soak the rice for at least an hour before making the Plao.
- Add two table spoons of oil in a pan and fry the onions till brown.
- Add all the dry spices and cook for about a minute.
- Add 2 ½ cups of stock along with the meat and let it boil.
- Add two whole green chilies.
- Drain the rice and add to the hot stock. Let the rice simmer over medium heat for about five to eight minutes. Once quarter of the stock is remaining, put the rice on DUM(steaming).
- The rice should be done in about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and open the pan carefully as it would have tons of steam inside.
- Mix the rice and fluff them. Let them sit for about five to seven minutes before serving hot.
This Plao serves well with (رائتہ) or (پودینے کی چٹنی) , coupled with (شامی کباب).
Hope you and your family enjoy this aromatic and delicious mutton Plao.